WHAT IS FISA?
FISA – Film Industry Support Austria is the film incentive programme by Austria’s Federal Ministry of Digital and Economic Affairs. The Austria Wirtschaftsservice GmbH (aws) together with Location Austria – The National Film Commission is responsible for the administration of the programme.
WHAT TYPES OF PROJECTS QUALIFY?
We support the production of cinema feature films with a non-repayable grant:
* Fiction and documentary films both with a runtime of at least 79 minutes, children’s films 59 minutes.
* National productions, Austrian-foreign co-productions as well as service productions.
How much is the grant?
* Up to 25 % of the eligible production costs.
* Per project cap à max. 15 % of the total annual grant budget of EUR 7.5 million.
WHICH CRITERIA DO AUSTRIAN-FOREIGN CO-PRODUCTIONS HAVE TO CONSIDER?
* Minimum of total production costs of EUR 2.3 M for fiction and EUR 350,000 for documentary films.
* Minimum of 5 shooting days in Austria (fiction film).
* The Cultural Test consists of four categories: “Cultural Content”, “Film Professionals”, “Production Criteria” and “Exploitation”. Fiction films must meet four criteria in “Cultural Content” and score at least 43 out of 86 points (documentaries must meet two criteria and score 32 points). The Cultural Test is available in English on our website.
* Co-productions need to comply with the respective intra-national film treaty. If no such agreement exists, a minimum Austrian contribution of 20 % of the total production costs is required.
* Co-productions should be provisionally approved by the Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs by the time of submission.
* One final version of the film must be produced in German (a subtitled version in German is sufficient).
* Release of the film in Austrian cinemas within one year after the film production has been completed.
* Payment is generally made in 3 instalments: 40 % when shooting begins, 40% after submitting the rough cut and a current cost situation and 20% after review of the final cost situation.
WHICH CRITERIA DO SERVICE PRODUCTIONS HAVE TO CONSIDER?
* Minimum of total production costs of EUR 4 M for fiction and EUR 500,000 for documentary films.
* Minimum spend in Austria (eligible production costs) of EUR 400,000 (fiction film).
* The Cultural Test for service productions consists of two categories: “Cultural Content” and “Production Criteria”. The project must meet at least two criteria in “Cultural Content” and score at least 33 out of 66 points. The Cultural Test is available in English on our website.
* Austrian service producer has to file the application (see “Who can apply”).
* Payment is generally made in 2 instalments: 30 % when signing the contract (start of shooting in Austria) and 70 % after review of the final cost situation.
WHAT ARE ELIGIBLE PRODUCTION COSTS?
* Local expenditure on filming activities, from pre- to postproduction (after the day of submission).
* Austrian goods and services provided by and paid to companies and individuals registered to pay income tax in Austria.
* Film-related deliveries and services in Austria that are performed on behalf of the film production company or its employees, free-lance employees or self-employed people.
* Staff-related expenses (salaries, wages, fees and remuneration) paid in Austria that are subject to
limited or unlimited tax liability in Austria.
* The invoiced services must be fully rendered in Austria, and the invoice must be designated for the production company based in Austria.
* Calculation of production costs shall not include VAT.
* Capped at 80 % of the total cost of the production.
Who can apply?
* Independent film production companies (not connected to a broadcaster) with evidence of sufficient professional qualifications and experience.
* Companies with registered headquarters in Austria or at least a branch office in Austria.
* Applicants must have produced and commercially distributed at least one comparable reference film in Austria or another EEA member state in the last 5 years prior submission.
HOW CAN AN APPLICATION BE FILED, AND WHAT IS THE BASIS FOR FUNDING DECISIONS?
* Online: filmindustrysupportaustria.at.
* Submissions on an ongoing basis (no filing deadlines).
* Application must be submitted before start of shooting.
* Financing must be in place before submission. The grant can be combined with funding provided by other film subsidy institutions or government authorities inasmuch as this is not prohibited by other subsidy guidelines. However, EU state aid regulations have to be taken into account.
* Projects are ranked on the basis of the date of complete application (“first come, first served” principle).
* The aws has overall responsibility for evaluating the submitted projects as well as coordinating the administrative processing of the funding.
* Location Austria is responsible for carrying out the Cultural Test and for the evaluation of the submitted projects, in particular of service productions. To better estimate your production’s chance of passing the test, please contact Location Austria prior submission.
* Final decisions will be made by the Federal Minister of Digital and Economic Affairs within seven weeks.
* Once approval has been granted the shooting should begin within six months.